Posts Tagged ‘smash book’

Ready for 2019

August 27, 2018

Until last year, I always made my own yearly junk journal/smash book, usually in the late summer or fall, so it was long ready to go by the time the new year rolled around.

Last year, for whatever reason, I fell down on the job! While shopping at Tuesday Morning late in December, it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn’t even thought about, much less plan and make, a journal for 2018. At that moment, my eye fell on a 9″x12″ spiral bound sketchbook with covers depicting several tubes of paint and a well-used palette. Serendipity! I’ve been filling it up all year with photos, ticket stubs, labels, hang tags, greeting cards, notes, stickers, copies of magazine pages, etc., plus lots of writing about the various events in my life.

I was doing some straightening up in my extremely cluttered studio yesterday and ran across a set of book covers and book rings I’d bought at Michael’s a few years ago. The covers are about 1/8″ thick, made of a dense foamy substance with a solid layer on each side. Printed on the white covers were two different floral patterns that were designed to resist ink, the idea being that you can spray them whatever color you desire. Since I dislike spray ink or dye (huge mess, hard to control), I opted to rub the colors on directly from my Tim Holtz ink pads and blend the colors with a wet wipe. The front cover was colored with Cracked Pistachio, Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint; the back is Victorian Velvet, Worn Lipstick and Picked Raspberry. I ran a thick black Sharpie along the edges to add definition (as I do with pretty much everything).

2019 journal open

I quickly decorated the front cover with a few things that were lying within arm’s reach. (Have I mentioned my studio is extremely cluttered?) The bird image is a Cavallini & Company glittered postcard; the Paris sticker is also by Cavallini, and the clear plastic number circles are from a collection of Maya Road calendar embellishments. A few buttons from my stash and recycled sari silk ribbon were the perfect finishing touches.

2019 journal front

The pages are a mix of solid cardstock and patterned papers from Webster’s Pages “Color Crush” collection, which I cut down to size. This collection really spoke to me with its fun patterns and favorite colors of pink, aqua and chartreuse.

color crush

Unlike previous years’ books, which were handbound, I can rearrange and add pages as I go along, which will be very convenient. Looking forward to 2019!

Crowning Glory

May 12, 2014

So I’ve been looking at the 2015 smash book I made a few days ago (see previous post) and it kept nagging me that it needed something more. Couldn’t put my finger on exactly what for awhile, which is amazing considering how much I love crowns. For indeed, that is ultimately what I decided it was missing.

I like it much better now.

Because, clearly, it did not have enough bling before.

Problem solved.

smash with crown side

The crown is made of chipboard by Maya Road.  I have a little tin full of them and they are one of my favorite things (when I remember they exist)! I painted the crown white and then added four colors of Stickles. Because you can never have too many Stickles.  This is one of my catchphrases.

smash book front

Bingo!

May 6, 2014

It’s been a long time since I made something for myself and I’ve been at loose ends the last few days, so I decided to make a smash book for next year.  (Dude says, “It’s a little early, isn’t it?”  Well, yeah, but I might be too busy later.)

I usually purchase a yearly desk calendar to use as a smash book (this year it’s a wire-bound beauty from Papaya), but it occurred to me that it would be even more special and meaningful if I made my own.  I started by shopping my gigantic stash of 12″ papers.  I only needed 26 (to make 52 weekly spreads), but decided to use 28 so there would be room for an intro and an epilogue.

bingo book pages

Lots of pink, green, aqua, florals, hearts and dots!  I don’t know why the dots; they just happened to appeal to me at the time.

While looking for a suitable cover, I came across a padded wedding guest book that I’d found at a thrift store awhile back. Turned on its side, it was the perfect size to hold 6″ wide pages.  I cut the papers down to 8-1/2″ tall and folded them in half. This part always takes a little while!

About a week ago, I had run across some inexpensive muslin in my stash and got the brilliant idea to see how fabric worked with my Gelli plate.  I made eight pieces and they turned out beautifully! The printed muslin was wrapped around the guest book covers and glued with Fabri-Tac. This print, which I used for the back cover of the book, was made using big bubble wrap.  (I LOVE bubble wrap for Gelli prints!)

bingo book back

The front cover was made by rolling paint onto the Gelli plate and blending the colors slightly; I didn’t use any mark-making tools to inscribe it.  Because it was so “plain,” I added a piece of deli wrap paper that had been printed with small bubble wrap as the background for a pretty Bingo card printout.

bingo book front

Naturally there had to be a butterfly, too.  And bling!

It took about an hour to do the hole-punching of papers and sewing of the book, as there were 14 separate signatures.  I folded 14 narrow sheets to use as inserts that fatten the spine, ensuring that the book won’t become fan-shaped as I add ephemera to it throughout the year.

bingo book spine

But just in case the book does become super-fat (it’s already pretty thick!), I added a ribbon closure so I can tie it shut (or at least try).  The pages weren’t quite as wide as the covers, so I used green floral washi tape to line the inside edges.

bingo book tied

 

Now the hard part: waiting seven months before I can use it!  🙂