While I had a wonderful time in New Jersey, it was great to get home again to my messy studio. I am SO not kidding when I say it’s messy. In fact, that’s pretty much an understatement. A gal on Swap-Bot recently posted pictures of her own chaotic art room and asked others to do the same. This was to prove to her husband that she was not alone in her ability to create awesome artwork – as well as an overwhelming mess.
At first I was reluctant to reveal just how bad my room was, but as others began to add their own pics of uncontrolled chaos, I was inspired to join in and posted three photos, revealing the horror for all to see. No amount of Photoshopping could disguise the terrible truth! Seeing it on the screen, unretouched, really brought home to me just how bad things had gotten.
So, since returning from vacation, it has been my number one priority to get that darned mess cleaned up once and for all! And by “once and for all,” I mean, of course, temporarily. Because, honestly? This will be like the fourth or fifth time in eight years that I’ve done this exact same thing. Got all excited, purged, cleaned, rearranged, organized…and two months later it’s all a big mess again. Knowing this has not discouraged me, surprisingly. I’ve spent three days working on the studio and things are really looking up. (It would probably help if I didn’t take so many breaks – but, hey – this needs to be as painless as possible or there’s a danger I’ll give up altogether.)
Anyway, another great thing about being in my messy studio is the opportunity to play with paint, glue and embellishments, and what more perfect project than this month’s challenge at Mind Wide Open. As always, the image provided is simply beautiful all on its own.
The word prompt for the image is “beloved.” As soon as I saw it, I envisioned a heart in the upper left corner of the window. Happily, my friend Terri recently gave me a stack of lovely suede paper, one of which was the perfect raspberry color. This time around, I decided to decorate a composition book. I painted the background turquoise and fuchsia, added the image and some lace trim and went around the edges with a yellow ochre ink pad. The copper letters weren’t quite the right color, so I enhanced them with a yellow Sharpie. Which you can’t tell in the scan at all. But they really are yellow. Or, yellow-ish.
As always, I’m excited to see how others interpret this challenge!